Sunday, May 31, 2015

Whole 30

Today I am starting my first Whole 30. When I started this post I was googling for images and I kept seeing blogs and articles referring to it as a diet. I really don't see it that way. Yes, Whole 30 is a challenge and it's not meant to be sustainable indefinitely. But it's meant to help you foster a better relationship with food.


The founders of Whole 30 really encourage you to read the books to understand why you're doing what you're doing. There is a lot of overlap in the older book It Starts with Food and the newer one, The Whole 30 Guide. So I read most of both of them. 




I did not feel completely ignorant about nutrition before but through these two books and a recent documentary I watched on Netflix, I feel like I've learned a lot.




My hopes:
- To establish a more healthy relationship with food. I want to feel more control over what I eat. I really like healthy foods. But I also really like unhealthy foods. And I definitely feel that I turn to food emotionally. It doesn't take a genius to know that that doesn't lead to good results.
- I hope I can nix my sugar addiction. I can't believe how many things we eat that have added sugar. Did you know that 1 tablespoon of ketchup has almost 17% of the sugar you should consume in one day?!
- Become more aware of what I'm putting into my body. Just with collecting recipes, meal planning, and grocery shopping I am already so much more aware of all of the additives in the foods I typically buy.
- I'm not gonna lie, I really want to lose some weight. I have not gotten into the groove of eating healthily while married. I also packed some good padding while we were in Italy and 5 months later, it's still there! I don't care so much about the number, but I want my clothes to fit comfortably again and I really want to feel less self-conscious.



What I can eat:
Meat
Seafood
Eggs
Vegetables
Fruits
Natural fats

The NO list:
Grains of any kind, this includes non-gluten grains
Any form of dairy
Alcohol
Sugar or artificial sweetener
Legumes

I'm most nervous about giving up cheese, cream in my coffee, tortilla chips, and alcohol. But, I'm actually excited to try a lot of the recipes I am prepping for.

Breakfast: I'm going to make sweet potato hash with fried eggs and a side of applesauce. Doesn't that sound filling?

Lunch: For the first week I'm going to alternate between a compliant tuna salad stuffed in sweet mini peppers and big chicken salads with their compliant dressings

Dinner:
- Cauliflower fried rice
- Apple Cider Pork Chops
- Zucchini Noodles with Romesco Garlic Shrimp
- Spaghetti Squash with Balsamic Chicken
- Proscuitto Wrapped Chicken Thighs
- Steak and Brussels Sprouts
- Zucchini Fritters

I will definitely take pictures and link recipes as I go!

Also, in anticipation of spending a ton of time in the kitchen I'm going to take Kristin's advice and download my first audiobook to listen to while I cook. I am a voracious podcast listener but I already fly through all my regular listens every week so I want to have something special to look forward to while I slave away.

Anyway, here goes nothing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment