Monday, May 18, 2015

Weekend Wrap Up - May 15 to 17

For a weekend that we had absolutely nothing planned at the beginning, it turned out to be pretty fun while still very relaxing.

FRIDAY

I tore out of work to make sure I could run before our evening activities started and it was the first run of the year where I was legitimately hot. Guess I have a few more months of that to look forward to!

May 15th was our six month anniversary and while we don't really celebrate little anniversaries, I wanted to surprise him so I picked up one of his favorite beers for him on the way home from work. Cody uses this app called Untappd to track and rank all of the beers he tries. This makes it easy for me to just look up the names since I would never remember otherwise. He had this one for the first time at Tavern at the Park when we took a weekend trip to Chicago last year.


This whole weekend was Art-a-Whirl in Northeast Minneapolis. More than 50 buildings in the neighborhood open their doors for people to come into their art studios and check out their work. Additionally, all the local breweries have parties and food trucks roll in and cook up all sorts of tasty stuff. Our neighborhood was absolutely crawling all weekend. It was exciting to see so many people around. So after work on Friday we had some friends over for beers and then set out. We started by checking out Able Seedhouse + Brewery. It's not open yet but is being built in an old lightbulb factory and is less than 1/2 a mile from our house. We perused some art studios and ended up at Indeed Brewing for their Whirlygig Celebration. Live music, food trucks, and craft beer galore. And we ended up picking the perfect day for meandering the neighborhood since it rained the rest of the weekend!


SATURDAY

Saturday was a whole lot of nothing. I caught up on some reading and trashy TV shows. But then in the late afternoon I decided that I needed guacamole and my darling husband even went to get me an avocado and an onion.

I'd heard that Chipotle recently released their recipe so I gave it a shot. I only made a half batch and was thrilled to use my fresh cilantro I recently planted. I omitted the jalapeño (not because I dislike the spice, but because the last two times I've sliced jalapeño, I've accidentally touched my eyes and been in horrible pain so I'm done with that) and I added some garlic. And it was delish!



We also watched The Purge: Anarchy, which was scary. Like, I got so scared that I got up and locked the door...logically.

SUNDAY

I hammered out a double workout by getting to a Body Works class at the gym and following it up with a run around the neighborhood between rain storms. I also used a Starbucks gift card to get some espresso which thrills me since I've given up paying for coffee to save money.


When I got home I attempted to fry eggs for the first time. I've always scrambled them because, well that's easy. But a couple weeks ago my sister's boyfriend fried me an egg and it was amazing. I even asked him for his secret techniques but he was like, "I dunno, fry it. Also, don't break the yolk." So I gave it my best shot and it was pretty tasty.


In the afternoon my sister and I went to see Pitch Perfect 2. I love, love, loved the first one and this was definitely good, just not as good as the first. But what sequel ever is?


All in all, a great weekend! And I'm not nearly as bummed that it's over because there are only 12 days of school left!!

2 comments:

  1. ohh that's sad about pitch perfect 2, but you're right, when is a sequel ever better than the first? i have never fried an egg either, i always end up scrambling because it's easier! i might give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to fry eggs! So much easier than scrambled- welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete